Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Yesterday

I missed blogging yesterday, so today I will attempt two. Either way, I still thought about what I would write, and I was aware of my surroundings. Both of these things are what I love most about writing.

Last night a man was killed. He was found guilty in a court of law and was sentenced to death for his actions. I suppose that if anyone deserves to die for the crimes they have committed, then he did. Killing people at random . . . targeting them like a sniper . . . wow. I can't imagine the fear that instills.

But . . . does anyone deserve to die for their crimes? Is the payment for a life taken ever another life? Is anything ever solved by that? Does it change anything?

"No, I don't feel any closure. I mean it's . . . it . . . nothing changes." This was spoken by a man whose sister was killed by Muhammad. And, at the end of the day, that's the truth. Nothing changes. The victims aren't magically brought back to life, the pain for those grieving doesn't end, and life doesn't go back to normal. Nothing changes.

So . . . was it worth it?

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." Gandalf, in The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments: