Friday, November 13, 2009

How Alive Am I Willing to Be?

I've been thinking a lot lately about making my life count. Leaving a mark on history--on my children, surely, and those we meet--but even more than that making each day count for me. I want to live each moment, because I'm not so good at that. I want to live in my passions, in my weaknesses, in my strong moments, in my joys, in my sorrows . . . I want to soak it all in and really live it.

It gets so easy to live for what will happen next (see yesterday's post!) or think that life/happiness/fill in the blank will begin after the kids are gone/I'm done with school/we're out of debt. Realistically that is all so many years away for me, and I already thought surely I'd be pursuing all of my dreams when Beau graduated from college. Alas. I may never start if I always put a starting point on it.

So . . . let the living begin! Let the dreams come. Let the goals be achieved. Let my writer's heart break through. Let me love words and fall and laughing and sweet music and amazing literature and oranges and a good cry and facing fears and even failing from time to time.

Now . . . how exactly does one begin?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this post... you gave words to what I couldn't name.

Marc and Gretchen said...

amen and amen!

RMMcDowell said...

I found out (from Facebook of all places) that there are 86,400 seconds in each day. The kids at Christian High were given bracelets yesterday that say "Invest 86,400." That's a great motto.

Wendy said...

By the way, see this post/project: http://www.halfwaytonormal.com/?p=472

What do you love, what makes you truly alive...what is a hint of heaven?