Monday, November 09, 2009

Twenty Short Years

I'm waking up at the start of the end of the world,
But it's feeling just like every other morning before,
Now i wonder what my life is going to mean if it's gone,
The cars are moving like a half a mile an hour if that
And I started staring at the passengers who're waving goodbye
Can you tell me what was ever really special about me all this time?

But I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well I guess we're gonna find out
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
Oh well, i guess, we're gonna pretend,
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come

("Let's See How Far We've Come"-Matchbox Twenty)

Twenty years ago today was a big day in history. I vividly remember watching the footage of the Berlin wall falling, and while I can't imagine Germany as East and West, I can picture the easterners flooding through. I can see the young men standing on the top of the wall or along its sides, striking the wall with pick axes and hammers, trying to knock down what never should have stood. I didn't understand what it meant for communism and the Cold War and the Soviet Union, but I knew it meant that school would be disrupted that day. I remember sitting in my 7th-grade homeroom and talking about what we had seen on our televisions that day.

Twenty years ago? Really? Because I don't remember it being that long ago. It must have been, because so much has transpired since then--in the world and in my life. So many more walls have been torn down and nearly as many have been erected.

Twenty years ago my family had just moved to Grand Rapids from our lovely home in the prairie. I was now a big city girl living across the street from a fire station and within spitting distance of my neighbors. Gone were the bull across the road, the cows that came into our yard, and the acres and acres of yard and farmland surrounding our house.

Twenty years ago I started 7th grade at my first Christian school. My mantra was "If God is For Us, Who Can Be Against Us" (yay DeGarmo & Key!), and I was scared to death.

Twenty years ago I didn't know a thing about who I was or what I believed beyond what my parents lived out in their every day. I didn't have anyone but my mom, my dad, and my sister. And God. And a library card to get me through the summer. God, my family, and the library are my only constants. And somehow they're enough.

Today I have a faith that carries me through valleys and over mountains. I have a husband who is my best friend. I have three beautiful daughters who make each day worth getting out of bed. I have a job that challenges me, whether or not I love it and working. I have a house in the city within spitting distance of wonderful neighbors. I have a great church with people who challenge me to learn and grow and love.

I believe that while today is the start of the end of the world and it truly does feel like every morning before, my life will mean something when it's gone. In fact, it will mean much, much more than it does today. Because when you worry, when you feel like the world is caving in, He is stronger than our weakness, faithful to the end. And like the master taught us, there is life beyond the cross. Even though we're weary, the battle won't be lost. After all, if God is for us, who can be against us? No power on earth can take His love away. If God is for us, who can be against us? We can live in victory today.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Seriously, when did 20 years happen?