Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's not me, it's my Coulrophobia.

It's official, and it's real. I like validation. Thanks to Criminal Minds, I actually have it. The validation. We're not sure where it actually came from.

For some people it is the result of a bad personal experience. Unless I've blocked it out, I can't say that I've had that. For others it stems from a sinister portrayal in the media. I know I've had that (thanks a ton, Stephen King), but this came much earlier than that. Wikipedia informs me that it is more common in children, but sometimes it occurs in adulthood. It does in this adult.

Now that we have it named, I have a complaint to lodge. Obviously I'm not the only one with this debilitating (I'm not exaggerating) condition. One in seven of us (and the rest of you are nuts!) have it. So can I call Johnny Depp and P. Diddy to help me form some sort of class action suit against the Garmin people? Their new commercial leaves me paralyzed in my chair. Oh, and now I can't even watch How I Met Your Mother without seeing it. And it isn't the friendly one that certainly appears harmless, though we aren't sure what's hiding under that big, red nose. Both Garmin and HIMYM have identified it by its name: Scary Clown.

And yet . . .

They keep. On. Showing. It.

I need a drink. Or some kind soul to ban it from my television. Please. For the love of all that's holy. I am begging.

While we're at it, I understand that it will soon be Bowl season. I very much like to watch college football. For those of us whose phobias extend beyond those with painted faces and into the masked devils, can we please discuss a ban on mascots? Take a tip from the University of Notre Dame. That little leprechaun is cute. And also my Masklophobia will thank you.

"Everything happens for a reason . . . except for clowns. I mean, seriously, what the hell?!"
--Anonymous flair on Facebook

No comments: