Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Task One = Disappointing Revelations

Task one: Search magazine shelves to gauge "current events." Use them to inspire your written words.

Last night (largely because of the deep breathing yesterday required), I got a "Free Mommy" pass to get out of the house for a couple of hours. Since I wasn't interested in meeting up with the Rogue fanatics at what Beau believed was the Monday-night Palin book signing at Barnes & Noble, I went to Schuler's. In addition to checking out all of the little gifty things (can't resist them!), I stopped by the magazine racks to knock Writer Mama's first task off my list.

Observations:
* There are likely more magazines published each month than literate human beings to read them.
* Literacy is likely not required to enjoy all of the publications. Intelligence is certainly not required.
* Clothing for cover models is obviously not required.
* The line between what consumers actually want and what the media forces down our throats is blurry. All too blurry.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm as superficial as the next girl. I also enjoyed reading the Twilight series. It was a great story--a fun romance for a girl who doesn't much like romances. But there are a few things worth noting, Dear Media:
1) Stephenie Meyer is not an outstanding writer. She spun a great yarn--much like Stephen King does--but her writing isn't gripping, her dialogue is lacking, and her characters lack depth.
2) Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson are not my Bella and Edward. Sure, Pattinson is fine to look at, but did his acting need to be stonier than his vampire flesh? And don't even get me started on Stewart! I hoped it was just for the film--just because Bella is supposed to be a bit awkward and shocked by the small-town obsession with her--but I've seen her in other things. She. Can't. Act. Period. If I am forced to swallow one more quote about her being one of the finest actresses of this generation, I'm going to scream. And I'm going to quit going to the movies. Or at least even believing I might enjoy them. Her being one of the finest actresses of this generation says bad things about this generation.
3) While the films and the novels might "define this generation," they won't stand the test of time. My children won't be studying them in their literature classes, and my grandchildren will find them on my bookshelf and likely pass right by them. They surely won't watch the films (except with the same amusement that we offer the acting in [all of] the Star Wars films).

Perhaps my thoughts above are indicative of many of the challenges facing this generation and its definition of art, reality, and talent. When "reality" TV encourages parents to use their children as pawns to hijack the media and already-budget-tapped law enforcement agencies or as ATMs to fund their jetset lifestyles and tummy tucks, a generation just might be lost. When "talent" is limited to celebrities who are famous for doing absolutely nothing other than spending money and sleeping around and partying their youth away, a generation just might be confused. When "art" is defined by subpar literature that carries a decent plot and acting that would bore even vampires to death, a generation just might be bought. And sold.

It all makes me concerned for my children. What will they watch, read, enjoy? It also makes me concerned for my own entertainment. Smart television is pulled from the screen for sex and crude comedies. The best movies of the year tend to be animated or rehashed from what we watched when I was a kid. Books are republished as soon as the movie version is released, and the actually artful cover art is replaced with the faces of the actors and actresses that destroyed the characters' limited credibility and deviated so far from the original plot that it is barely recognizable.

I may actually have to start using my brain here to come up with my own entertainment. That is, if I can find it under the mountains of trees wasted to print whatever I'm being sold this week.

As I'm looking for it, perhaps you could answer a question for me, Dear Media. Which came first: my desire for more on Jon & Kate, New Moon, Carrie Prejean, Sarah Palin, and the Balloon Boy or you burying everything that would be more worth my time so all I can see is this? And where can I opt out of what you're selling?

Task one: I suppose disgust can be as great a muse as intrigue.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

"I suppose disgust can be as great a muse as intrigue."

How true that is, although I prefer to think of it as "righteous indignation." Makes me a veritable prophet.

Kevin said...

You lie!

Kevin said...

I'm referring, of course, to your mistaken beliefs about the quality of Twilight and all that it encompasses. Twilight is not flawed, we are flawed. Do not project your flaws onto Twilight.

Marc and Gretchen said...

That's why you need to start writing; so my children have something decent to read!

RMMcDowell said...

I'll confess to having my tickets for opening night. AAAHH! The contradictions sell me out every time!