Monday, November 16, 2009

{Deep breath.}

Today was a slow down and breathe deeply sort of day in the world of parenting. Little One was up from 2:30-5:00. In the morning. Middle and Oldest were up by a bit after 6:00. Then, at 6:45, Little was up again. I know, because Middle shouted from her crib, "Mama! Addishun. Cah-ing."

So begins the day.

It didn't get too much better.

Days like this are very hard for me. They are also scary. I want so desperately to get through this without sinking into postpartum depression again.

The screener at the hospital met with me before I was discharged, because I am so high risk. I'm high risk for a number of reasons, but the two greatest are that I am a past sufferer and that I had an emotional pregnancy. To say the least. But I don't want to take meds again, and I don't want to sink deep again. I just don't. The screener recommended taking an Omega-3 supplement. Apparently there are links to Omega-3 and postpartum depression. Hey, I'll do whatever it takes. So I'm taking it. 2,000 mg a day. So far, so good.

But days like today set me back. They freak me out. They make me wonder if I'm sinking or if I'm drowning or if I'm just a little bit crazy.

I need to remember that three kids is a lot. Especially when one of them is only 3 1/2 weeks old. And the next one is nearly in her terrible 2s. And the oldest is only 4. Three kids--three girls--under 5 is quite a handful. Especially when one of them is up for 2 1/2 hours during the night, and the others wake up only 1 hour after I finally fall asleep.

It's a lot. For anyone. So I just keep taking my Fish Oil pills and my deep breaths. But it still freaks me out a bit.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Sending you a salmon.

Marc and Gretchen said...

Glad you shared this. I'll be praying. Love you too.