Saturday, November 14, 2009

Today

Today is day one of truly investing 86,400, and I did it! I lived each moment. Some I didn't want to live (scrubbing behind the toilet and discovering the kitchen sink backing up and leaking into the cupboard), and others I would live again and again (snuggling a freshly-bathed Meggie).

Today I relished the weather by ditching my sweater and driving with the windows open.

Today I decorated my front porch for Christmas.

Today I located my Writer Mama book from Dear Writer Friend, and I pledged to start reading it tonight. I also located a lovely and quite empty journal to fill with the exercises.

Today I washed one load of laundry, scrubbed behind the toilet, put away laundry, organized my wrapping paper closet, and set my cool red phone up in my "library."

Today I christened my landing as my library.

Today I snuggled in bed with my husband and our two oldest daughters.

Today I made eggs and bacon for my family.

Today I heard Steven Curtis Chapman's new song about heaven, which he wrote after his daughter died. As he sang that heaven is a sweet, maple-syrup kiss, I thought about Baby Zion and all that we will miss. Then, when he sang that heaven is where his daughter will take his hand and lead him to God and they will run together into his arms, I wept. Right there, at the red light. And I dreamed about the moment when my little one will lead me into the arms of the Father who has known us since the beginning of time . . .

Today I met my oldest girl's new fish: Argy and Cargy (the two Mickey Mouse goldfish--with Mickey's head on their tails) and Fibonacci and Fibonacci (the two fantails).

Today I tucked my middle girl in her bed with her two "pashas" (pacifiers) and her four blankets, all of which she tucks underneath herself like a little nest she lies in to dream.

Today I lived.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You freaking decorated for CHRISTMAS? You, ma'am, are officially part of the problem. ;)

Do the fish really have Mickey heads?

Hmm, I have that book somewhere...