Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Fine Line

Ellie has been talking to herself lately. A lot. The really crazy part is that she is arguing with herself. It's interesting to eavesdrop on those interactions.

Beau asked me if it was normal or if we should be concerned. I told him that imaginary conversations like that are a mark of creativity. He said they are also a mark of schizophrenia. This is true, I said. There is a fine, fine line between creative genius and lunacy.

And there is. John Nash is a perfect example. Albert Einstein once said, "A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" Many authors and artists have stepped over the line into lunacy, and their art had a price to pay.

I have obsessive compulsive tendencies. I count stairs, and I obsess over things. Fixate on them. I also have sensory defensiveness, which is a sensory-integration disorder on the autism spectrum. I talk to myself regularly, and there is always some sort of imaginary world in my mind. I blame it on being a lover of words.

So what of my children? I'm not saying anything either way about them, but the older two are proving creative beyond imagining. We prayed that they would be. Each of them exhibit some form of sensory defensiveness, though (thankfully) it seems to be much less broad spectrum or severe than mine. What of the OCD and whatever else lunacy may lurk in their brains? And what of the fact that it just may be that all of us are a few hormones shy of being committed?

Who knows. All I can see is that they are creative. And I must note that there is a fine line between genius and lunacy. I'll walk it. But I'll always wonder if I'll be the one to cross it. And I'll always pray that my art--and theirs--doesn't ever pay the price.

May my dear children always be lovers of words and taking pen (or colored pencil) to paper. May they always be creative beyond imagining. And may their grip on reality always be tenuous enough for their art to be genius but strong enough to keep them sane.

No comments: