Friday, January 13, 2012

Like a Kid Again

It's 5:30 a.m., and I'm awake and watching the news.  I may put it on mute, because I find their reports a bit alarmist.  Still, I keep watching the school closing reports and the "Instant Alerts," hoping I find my daughter's school scroll across.  As each school close to us or even in our county is added, my heart soars a bit.  As each minute ticks along without it, my heart sinks a bit.

I hate driving in this crap.  I hate shoveling it off my car.  I hate being cold like snow makes me cold.  I hate having to bundle the girls into snow pants just to drive to school simply because an almost 4 year old and a 2 year old can't be expected to stay on their booted feet for a quick walk out to the car. 

We've been so spoiled this year with winter not really beginning until January 12.  I get that.  But I just don't think the snow is going to melt in a week this time.  That's probably why I told Beau he was welcome to look at job transfer opportunities in Hawaii.  "Just for a couple of years."

Here I sit.  Wondering if I'm going to be able to leave my car covered with snow, whether I can climb back in bed to start my day later, whether I should turn off my daughter's alarm clock, whether I'm going to regret all this hoping as I'm refereeing fights in a couple of hours, whether my two year old will be willing to play outside at some point--

       What?  Instant alert showing her school?  Was that really our county?  Yes!  Yes!  A confirming text alert.  SNOW DAY!!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Woo hoo! Felt last night like it should be one for me too, and during the 30 minute process to drop AJ off 3 miles away, I wished it was. But since I have to be working today, it's probably best that preschool never closes! It's all pretty and pleasant enough from the comfort of the home office anyway. :)