Tuesday, December 01, 2009

World AIDS Day

Far from here, though not as far as some may want to believe, a child sits alone. Crying. Longing for a mother, a father, anyone to pick him up and comfort him. But he lives in a family alone. More than 15 million children worldwide face this reality every day. Most of these children live on the continent of Africa, but that has no less impact on us.

Today, may God bless those who have stepped in and adopted one of those blessed children. And may He continue to hold those little ones who wait.

Just down the road and in cities across this country and villages around the world, a woman lies alone. Dying. Longing for a hand to hold, longing for hope. But she has been abandoned. AIDS is the number one cause of death for women worldwide.

Today, may God bless those who have stepped in and held the hand of one of those blessed women. And may He continue to hold those beautiful ones who wait.

Across the world millions will, in some way, mark this day. Living. Remembering. Holding hands and standing together. Gaining knowledge. Getting tested. Will you?

Today, may God bless those who get a positive test result and those whose test is negative. May He bless those who are abandoned by the ones they love and those who are embraced. And may this day be the day that even one person gets informed and stays safe and another person finds a cure.

In 1990, Ryan White was dying, and I was a 7th grader following his story on the front page of every newspaper I delivered. The day he died, I cried. The next year I gave an oral report on AIDS in my English class. My class laughed at me. It didn't matter.

Today is the least that we can do for him . . . and them.

Sites to learn more or get involved:
Product (Red)
CRWRC Embrace AIDS
AIDS Information
What's Going On video
AmFAR

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Beautiful post. Wonderful prayers.
I'm glad God sent you newspapers so Ryan White could touch your heart.

My post is an old one tweaked but I got it up--virtually the ONLY thing I accomplished today!