Saturday, December 05, 2009

Let It Snow!

For the third year in a row, I have decided to undertake the Kent District Library's "Let It Snow!" winter reading program for adults. It's a bingo board of different genres of books, plus some random things like "Read a book or author starting with the letters 'K,' 'D,' or 'L'." The first year I got about two books read. Last year I completed two full bingos. This year I'm gonna make it!

I've been spending some of my nursing time reading On Writing by Stephen King. It's a humorous take on the craft of writing, and it keeps me up during Addie's 3 a.m. snack time. I'm enjoying it. One of the tools King says every writer must have in her toolbox is a library (at home or at the actual library) full of read books. He says we learn much from "bad" books, perhaps more than we learn from "good" books. So this year I'm gonna make it through all my bingos, even the genres I don't like.

I just finished the second book--my "Award Winner or New York Times Bestseller"--Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt (who lives in Alto. What the . . . huh?!). It turns out that I am the last in my immediate family to have read the book, which I borrowed from my parents who, as it also turns out, happen to own a library full of read books. Including, I believe, every book Stephen King has ever written.

When I set out with Lizzie, I wasn't much of a fan. "The Buckminster Boy" happens to be the son of a preacher who happens to be a bigot. Or so I thought. It turns out instead that he is just a scared man who wants, at all costs, to keep the proverbial boat from rocking. Most of the other characters in the book truly seem to be actual bigots . . . except for Turner (The Buckminster Boy), Turner's mom (one may wonder why she married "Buckminster" in the first place), Mrs. Hurd (who paints her shutters and her doors a nonChristian color), and Mrs. Cobb (who reminds me of my grandmother). I hated that preacher even more than I hated his church and town full of bigots. I hated him because he didn't have an excuse. And then I declared that the book wasn't very good and I would finish it only for my bingo.

Then I paused to think about it.

An author, and subsequently a book, has to be at least halfway decent to make me so strongly dislike someone by the third page of the book. And it has to be even better than halfway decent to make me so strongly like him by the end. And besides, maybe the reason I hated him so much was that he was maybe just a bit too much of me.

As it turns out, this Gary D. Schmidt from Alto, MI, can write a book that made me love and hate characters who, in the end, are far too human. And this Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy was a good book after all.

Who knows what other treasures I'll uncover between now and March 31. Two down. Fourteen to go.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I was going to ask you tonight if you are doing this again! I picked up my first bingo card this afternoon. And two books. We'll see how this goes with the whole job thing in the mix.

Wendy said...

Gary D. Schmidt teaches at Calvin, but despite his Alto residence, I do not believe he was ever one of our crazy bee-shooting neighbors.