Monday, December 07, 2009

Danger, Will Robinson

Addie would not fall back asleep last night. She slept 6 hours after her bottle, so I did get to sleep until around 4:00 this morning. But then she wouldn't go back to sleep. Normally this would be okay--I'd just sit up with her--but today we're headed out after school. That means the girls will nap in the car, and I should probably NOT nap when they do.

So I sat up for a bit with her. While I was rocking her, I read. I'm greatly enjoying On Writing. Today, for really the first (and only?) time, Stephen King gave a writing assignment. He delivered a situation, and then he instructed us to sit and write it down without plotting it. As Addie was falling asleep, I was thinking. Characters were coming alive. Without me plotting it (which is the way I prefer to write anyway), a story was being born.

She fell asleep, but she didn't stay that way. Dear Husband ended up sleeping in the chair and holding her for the rest of the night. He's better at that than I am. They both slept. I slept, too. But then, during my shower, the characters came back. It turns out that the husband (not mine) is not such a great guy after all, and it may not be entirely her (not me or Addie) fault.

The danger is this:

We have a busy, busy day today. How am I to write down what's in my head with no time before bed to sit and do it? How can I keep the characters from moving on without me? How can I be certain that when I do sit down, I'm still as surprised by whom the characters are rather than forcing them to be whom I think they should be?

Of course, I could have started now, but I knew I could blog about it in the five minutes I have before feeding Addie, taking Meg to the sitter, bringing Ellie to school, and rushing to the doctor's office. A story . . . well, I could get lost in that for hours.

So, thanks a lot, Steve. And thanks a lot, Muse. Could you and Addie maybe sleep a bit longer--or pick a less busy day to strike?

No comments: