Monday, May 28, 2012

The Twenty-second Sabbath

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome –

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I, just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.
"Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church," Emily Dickinson

I'll be honest, because it's best not to lie.  I didn't go to church today.  Today I kept the Sabbath taking my kids out for donuts for breakfast and letting them put on their swimsuits and run in the neighbor's sprinkler and reading a book and watching my kids play at the beach.  And it was wonderful.

Most Sabbaths I keep going to Church.  I love going to Church.  When I was small (because I've decided that I'm still young) I used to play Church.  Sometimes I would even go to Church and play Church there (one of the perks of being a pastor's daughter).  I especially love going to my Church.  I love my pastor and the message from God he brings to us each week.  I love the songs we sing, and I love singing them with my friends.  I think it's important to go to Church, so even when I don't love it, and when I don't want to be there, I still go.

But today I kept it staying at Home.  Not really Home--more my parents' cottage.  Well, more a trailer at Sandy Pines with a golf cart in the garage and a lake out back and a yard full of goose poop.  This whole weekend has been a Sabbath.  And it's been wonderful.

No comments: