Friday, May 04, 2012

Arriving Home

I recently had a conversation with some teenagers and young adults about heaven.  Even more than heaven, we were talking about one of the final parts of The Apostles' Creed: "From there he will come to judge the living and the dead."

We talked about that judgement, and what it might mean.  (Because they're teenagers, we also talked about whether "judgement" is spelled "judgement" or "judgment."  And, because they're teenagers, we had plenty of smart phones to use to determine that it is considered correct either way.  We all liked it better with the "e.")  We talked about how for Christians, when we arrive at the Judgement Day, we will be judged based on Christ's actions and His sacrifice for us.  We also talked briefly about how nonChristians will be judged by their own actions when they stand before Christ, because they haven't come under His righteousness.  And then we talked about why, if Christians have already been judged (and found worthy), there would be a second judgement.  Our curriculum explained that it is so that Christ will be officially and finally and completely glorified for His sacrifice by looking at us and proudly declaring us worthy.

With that "final" thought, I told the students to keep this in mind as we say The Apostles' Creed together in church.  I also told them that we could all take comfort from being reminded that we have been declared eternally worthy when we feel inadequate in life.  And then I was about to send them on their way.

Before I could do that, one of the young adults said, "But don't you think that judgement will still be scary?  I mean, when you get to heaven, and you're looking at Jesus' face, don't you think you'll be freaking out?"

The question sort of caught me off guard, but it didn't take long for a smile to spread on my face and tears to spring into my eyes.  "No," I whispered.  "No.  I think when I get there it will be like arriving home, and I've never been afraid to walk into my house.  I belong there, and my parents are there."

Maybe that's why the command from heaven to not be afraid truly is repeated in scripture more than any other command.  Surely God commands a holy fear.  We are to fear the Lord, in fact.  But that fear isn't the fear that is defined in most American dictionaries.  It's not a "distressing emotion" brought on by "impending danger."  It's an awe.  A reverence for this holy, holy God.  When I think of that "fearing the Lord," I'm reminded of the passage from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis when the Pevensie children are asking the beavers about whether Aslan is safe.  "Safe?" they are asked.  "Who said anything about safe?  'Course he isn't safe.  But he's good.  He's the King, I tell you."

We have that same comfort in approaching our God.  Of course He isn't safe.  And of course we should fear Him.  But we shouldn't fear Him, and we shouldn't dream for even one moment that walking into our final judgement or standing in front of His throne at our deaths should be scary.  Because He's good.  Because He's the King.  Because those of us who are found in Him have been saved and made perfect by Him.  And because when we get there, we're Home.  And it should never feel scary to walk into your Home.  You belong there, and your Father is there.

No comments: