Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book Eight

In, just under the wire to keep me on track for two books a month!  Whew!

The Pawn
Steven James

My DearWriter/PublisherFriend gave me this book.  She told me it was good but that mine might be better and told me to get writing.  All I can say is that if mine is half as good, I'll be pleased, and that mine won't be nearly this complex!  Wow.

The Pawn was published in 2008, so I'm a bit late to the game. I'm actually grateful for that, because now I don't have to wait for the next book in the Patrick Bowers series. This is the first in a proposed 8-part series from "The Patrick Bowers Files." Bowers is an environmental criminologist--he uses geography and environment to help build a profile of the killer he is pursuing. In The Pawn, we are introduced to Bowers and his unique line of work, and James weaves his back story in to a fast-paced political and psychological thriller.


As is an indicator of good story telling, I truly found myself coming to care for the main characters and be repulsed by the psychopaths. Bowers, his step daughter, and his partners are well written. The villains (yes, there are many in this book) are, too. And, even when James doesn't include it, the reader can sense a depth to the characters that will make them fun to get acquainted with in future stories from the files. Perhaps the most exciting part for me was believing I had identified the killer then believing I was wrong only to believe I was right again before--oh, I don't want to give it away. Just know it's worth the ride.

Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, publishes The Patrick Bowers Files, as well as Steven James's other books. Typically I shy away from Christian fiction, because I find it lacking in depth, lacking in thrill, or preachy. I'm pleased to say The Pawn is none of those things. Bowers wrestles with God in a way that feels authentic, and the family drama isn't neatly wrapped at the end of the book. Just like real life.

No comments: